*UPDATE*
I made a new batch of this yesterday, and used 5 tbsp. of completely liquid coconut oil, which left me with a far too oily mixture when cooled and solidified. Can't figure out how the proportions got so off--it's been awhile since my last batch. In the future I will add oil little by little just until the goop that sticks together.
I stopped using regular deodorant/antiperspirant (mostly) a couple years ago after hearing all that stuff about aluminum being linked to Alzheimer's and cancer. In its place, I started buying Tom's of Maine natural deodorant.
However, ToM is kind of weak stuff, and doesn't last the entire day for me--especially through physical activity. I've heard testimonies that if you just quit using deodorant, you will no longer need it after about a month--you won't smell! I believe that works for people--some people--but I don't think I'm one of them.
Late in the summer, I stumbled upon this recipe for homemade deodorant on Passionate Homemaking.
5-6 tbsp. coconut oil
5-6 tbsp. coconut oil
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. cornstarch
First, melt the coconut oil (by partially immersing the glass jar in hot water.) Then, mix it with the baking soda and cornstarch. Spoon the mixture into a container. I use a tiny round container with a screw-on top (it was a lotion sample). I also put it in an empty Tom's of Maine dispenser. Coconut oil melts at 77 degrees, but is otherwise a solid. Thus, during these winter months the deodorant is hard as a rock until I warm it a bit. Leaving it in the steamy bathroom while showering or setting it on the radiator for a couple minutes does the trick. Then, it is soft and you get a little dab on your finger and rub it in.
It's super cheap.
It's completely natural--no chemicals!
And, it WORKS.....well!!!!
It works as well as any conventional deodorant I've ever used. For real!! I was surprised myself. It is not an anti-perspirant (although I'd imagine the baking soda absorbs a little moisture), but I'm not a big sweater and have never thought anything wrong with a little perspiration anyway--stopping those glands up seems like a bad idea.
Thus we have the best natural-living discovery ever. We can avoid harmful ingredients and not smell.

1 comments:
very interesting! personally, arneil and i had been using toms deodorant as well as other natural products found at whole foods, but i never really liked the way they felt. so i decided to stop using deodorant. both arneil and i have not used deodorant in several months, and we really do not smell! my armpits are not even sweaty at all! i love it!
Post a Comment