I've always enjoyed using a bike to get around, from that first glorious going-to-the-library-by-myself ride at age 8 until the present day. I often biked to Calvin while living in Eastown, and it became my main mode of transportation in both of the flat, big cities where I've dwelt since. I adore biking--it saves me time, money, and a whole lot of hassle. There are endorphins to consider--not to mention spiritual revival and channeling my Dutch ancestry.
It wasn't until this year, though, that'd I'd ever learned that I, Hope, can actually bike twelve months a year in Chicago. I thought only really hardcore people did that. I usually tuck my bike away in the fall for hibernation. But this year, I did it! And, it wasn't that bad. Now, I wouldn't say it's possible 365 days a year, but I was able to get somewhere cycling at least once a week this whole winter. All you need is a "dry" street, meaning the road is clear of snow and slush. That's usually the case as I live in a well-plowed and highly-trafficked area. It also helps if it's not so cold that your skin stings when exposed to air--but most of the season it wasn't that bad. You just bundle up.
What helped:
1. A mild winter
2. A knit headband under my hat for extra ear protection
3. Mountain bike tires
4. Desperation
I admit that I haven't been biking out of nobility; truthfully, if I owned a car, most of these bike trips wouldn't have happened. However, versus my other option--the bus/El, biking was often the easiest and quickest.
I look forward to springtime, when biking around is pure bliss again, but I do not look forward to having no excuse not to wear a helmet anymore. I've been going without due to the necessity of wearing a headband & winter hat. I just hate helmets.
We can do a lot of things that seem impossible before we do them!
P.S. I should also mention I rusted out my chain, kickstand, and gears. Next year I'll be more vigilant about wiping my bike dry after riding instead of letting the slush do its corrosive work.
8 months ago
2 comments:
i'm so proud of you for biking that much! that is awesome! why do you hate helmets?
i must get back on my bike...
I hate helmets because they mess up your hair, the straps feel constrictive around my chin and face, and mine leaves a red line on my forehead. I like the feel of wind in my hair, and helmets prevent that!
Post a Comment