Sugar Fast #3

Conversation with a couple lady friends in March challenged me to do another sugar fast, this time for longer than before (I think it end up being about 5 or 6 weeks). I didn't eschew all honey or maple syrup, but I did quit grazing at the candy jar at my internship and buying chocolate to eat at home.

A few things that characterized this time:
1. I wasn't super strict, but I maintained it for a longer time. When there were truly special occasions (Easter, special country pie shop in the mountains, a visit from my sister-in-law) I let myself have dessert. It was worth it, and didn't throw me off course. (The raspberry pie I had in the southern Oregon mountains was the best of my life--I didn't regret it for a second).

2. I used butter buttons when I had a treat craving. The first time I ever tried going off sugar, I realized that fat was also satiating and turned especially to dairy products, but that was before I realized how good fat actually is for us. Now I can eat butter buttons and give my body what is probably actually wanting. I relied on these less after the few couple weeks.

3. I realized I was probably hypoglycemic before. Once I was weaned, I stopped feeling desperate and irritable for a snack when I came home from work. I was less hungry overall. Fewer mood swings. My brain continued to function even if I hadn't eaten in a few hours. No more total lock-down because my blood sugar was plummeting.

4. I continue to feel detached from sugar, even after the fact. Now even my cherry-date-walnut balls are overwhelmingly sweet. I don't crave treats. My heart is unmoved by the last two bites of dessert on the plate. I didn't need to try multiple offerings at my graduation reception. I'm freer, and less excited by sugar.

5. I avoided wheat. Partway into this, I started reading the book "Wheat Belly" about the evolution of wheat especially over the last 50 years and how even whole wheat products spike your blood sugar, this author claims even faster than table sugar. So, I started avoiding unnecessary wheat too, by using rice pasta and planning more rice meals in general. I definitely wasn't strict about this, though.

6. It gets easier every time. This is only the 3rd attempt to cut out sugar for any period of time in the last 4 years or so, and it has truly been noticeably easier every single time. Gradual change is possible and good.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Congrats! I'd like to find a way to stop craving cheese. I could certainly stand to cut back on sugar.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates