I got this awesome, heavy Irish wool sweater secondhand about 6 years ago. I love wool, but somewhere in there I brought home something with moths, and for the first time in my many years of woolwear, I started getting holes in things. This sweater was the worst, it probably had 10 gigantic holes in it. (Like the size of a quarter). I tried needle felting a couple of the holes with matching wool roving a few years ago, which was a dumb idea. This year, my spouse started darning his Smartwool socks during Zoom church, so I decided to give it a go on this sweater that had truly become unwearable.
I bought a tiny bundle off-white crewel wool yarn and a blunt, large-eye needle, and it was so easy. I actually did it while my toddler was awake, and he snipped the string for me as needed. I couldn't believe how easy and satisfying it was. (The super textured, thick knit was very forgiving, and the mends disappear into it.) Now it is good to go again! So happy I didn't need to get rid of it.
I also, of course, put it in the freezer to kill any remaining moth eggs.

0 comments:
Post a Comment