These recipe asks you to "soak your grains," which is something I first heard about just recently. Soaking your grains overnight in an acidic liquid (like kefir, cultured yogurt, buttermilk) breaks down phytic acid, which prevents complete digestion. It also begins the starch break-down process early so we can fully absorb the nutrients in our food. I don't completely understand how it works, but it's worth looking further into. This granola was my first experience "soaking" anything. I mixed the oats with yogurt and left if overnight. Since evidence of full digestion is rather difficult to gather, I'm just trusting that there was some benefit to doing this step. It might have improved the flavor...
To the granola I added some of the squash seeds that I roasted earlier. (After slicing them by hand for chewability). I also threw in a handful of flax seeds. Since it takes so long to dry out in the oven, I sliced a couple apples thinly and set them in the oven to dry at the same time, and added them when all was said and done.
(I only make a half batch at a time)
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups kefir or cultured buttermilk (I used yogurt).
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2-3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- Whatever you like of the following:
- 1 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or chopped pumpkin seeds (I used squash seeds!)
- 1/4 cup minced dried figs
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 cup dried apples, chopped
Directions:
Mix oats with the melted butter and oil, yogurt and water in a large bowl. Cover with a cloth and/or plate and allow to sit at cool room temperature for 24 hours. After the soaking time, preheat the oven to 200° F (93° C).
Place honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla in a glass measuring cup in a small pot of warm water on the stove. Bring water to a gentle simmer, stirring honey mixture, until honey becomes thin.
Combine honey and oat mixtures, mixing to incorporate.
Spread mixture out over two cookie sheets. Bake for 2-4 hours, until granola is dry and crisp.
0 comments:
Post a Comment