Mennonite-Your-Way


Two weeks ago I left for the longest road trip of my short life. It would be a 5 day, 4 night trip from Chicago to Eugene, OR. Two of these nights my gentleman friend and I were thankful to spend with friends in Boulder, CO and in Portland, OR. However, our friend circles are not conveniently smattered along the entire length of I-80/I-84, so for accommodations for the other two nights, we turned to the Mennonite-Your-Way directory. Here, hospitable church families advertise there availability to have guests for a somewhat nominal fee. The first evening was spent with an elderly couple in North Platte, Nebraska. I saw a grandmother's flower garden quilt that blew my mind! The second night was spent with a middle-aged couple in Boise, Idaho. Boise is actually a pretty neat city, and I wouldn't mind living there. We found we had quite a lot in common with these folks; the woman was very involved with resettled refugees, the man enjoyed locating and preserving wild food, and they met at a farm for rehabilitating the mentally ill in Massachusetts! The fellowship enhanced the experience many times over. It was nice to arrive at a home instead of a sterile hotel room or face the task of setting up a campsite. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates