I've noticed that walking to and from work (3 miles a day) all winter in stiff boots has been hard on my socks. Lots of them are getting worn in the heel. This is saddest for my nice, warm knee socks that are perfectly intact everywhere else. Last week I found some sock yarn at the thrift store so I thought I'd try my hand at darning. I kind of understand the basic idea behind darning--you weave fiber back and forth through the skeletal web of thinning sock fabric and fill in any holes. I think there is a specific pattern in which to draw the yarn, but I just did it willy nilly.
My thumb did get quite tired from stretching the sock so I could see the holes. I need a jumbo-size plastic Easter egg or something.

I'm sure it looks a lot less raggedy if you have matching yarn. But, mismatched and darned looks a little less raggedy than my heel showing through!


3 comments:
for the record, i've tried it, and a jumbo sized plastic easter egg works great! :) -- liz
it's not raggedy... it is eclectic and fun! wonderful job bringing life back into your socks!
How neat! Before reading this, I thought darning was just closing up holes.
To prevent future wear in the heel, you might consider socks that don't have a defined heel (like trouser socks).
Post a Comment