Unlike last year, this spring I got out to the garden early enough to plant lettuce and spinach. I have eaten 3 spinach salads thus far, which has kept me from going days without seeing vegetable. A little balsamic vinegar and I'm all set! It works well, as I can't seem to find the time to grocery shop these days. And I feel especially lucky because the bunnies didn't eat it before I picked it, which surely was not due to my falling-down sorry excuse for a fence.
I do appreciate edible leaves much more than I did before--you pick 'em once and they're done, not like other plants that keep producing fruit, or herbs that like to be pruned. That spinach plant gives it's life for you! And sadly, I will be hundreds and hundreds of miles from my dear garden when fall coolness brings the second round of lettuce-growing possible this year. I enjoy it while I can.
8 months ago
1 comments:
Your spinach salad sounds delicious! Jeff and I have peas sprouting in our garden. :0)
Post a Comment