For my high school graduation, I received as a gift a thick, lambswool sweater from a friend's parents. At the time, I remember thinking it was kind of an unusual graduation gift, but at this point, almost 11 years later, I can't remember a single other thing that I got then, and I'm still wearing this sweater. *actually, I do remember. My parents got me a massage/facial, and I got some calling cards. It was the pre-cellphone era.
This sweater has been worn heavily for the past 10 winters. It's really warm, and rarely needs washing since wool is antimicrobial (and rarely worn against the skin). It's from J. Crew and has a high quality metal zipper that does not warp. However, by last year I had worn holes in both elbows. So, first, I tried to darn the holes a bit with mismatched sock yarn. Then, I cut ovals from some buttery-soft leather I bought on an Native American reservation in the U.P.,
used a leather punch to make holes, and sewed them onto the elbows. Yes! Sweater's now got a few more years left in it now, although one of the cuffs is starting to fray, and I'm not sure what to do about it.
Also, I have a nagging cold, and I'm making some bone broth today from our grass-fed beef to nurse myself back to health. I've made it from chicken before and it turned out yummy, but tried with marrow beef bones at my mom's house and it wasn't very good at all. Let's see how this is. It has plenty of fat in it, and I added an apple, half an onion, and garlic. I'll just simmer the life out of it now in the slow cooker.
8 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment