Botanically-Dyed Pillow Cover

Today I combined two craft ideas I saw online. I used botanically staining to decorate a plain white men's dress shirt and made a cover for a throw pillow. The shirt felt like nice quality, but I didn't look it up until after I cut and dyed it. It was a James Perse white button up shirt, which I got for free, probably from the curb. I didn't realize till later that this is a designer brand, and the same item is going for $50-80 used on Ebay. Whoops!

First, I collected some flowers from around our apartment building. I sprinkled them over the shirt, rolled it up with the petals inside, and pounded on the roll with a hammer to get the flower juices out. Then, I let in dry on the line and soaked it in salt and vinegar, and let it dry again. This was supposed to set it, but most of the color came out except the yellow. So I did a few more roses and some grass to add more color, and just let it dry. 

Crafting is always cathartic, especially when pounding and smashing are involved.


Then, I sewed it into a case for my ugly throw pillow, using the buttons on the back so it can be slipped over the pillow and buttoned up again. I used one of the sleeves to make the ruffle down the front.  





It could be fit a little more snugly around the corners, but for tonight, it's done. 


3 comments:

Andrea said...

I got a chuckle out of your comment about catharsis.

The ruffle is a great touch. The colors work lovely together.

Many years ago my grandmother embroidered flowers on a pillowcase for me. They are a treasured gift.

Amber said...

Gorgeous! I think Kiz might like making something like this.

Hope said...

Andrea, I love embroidered pillowcases more than most things in this world. How special to have you grandma make one just for you with love!

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates