Fight the Phlegm

I do still make things on a somewhat regular basis, but forget about documenting them.

This week my 2 year old has been as sick as she's ever been in her life, which I judge by being somewhat lethargic and willing to ride in the stroller/cuddle on the couch vs. her normal self. Bad cough, making sleep fitful and a runny nose. The last two days I've been in overdrive making home remedies, which I will record here to reference for next time.

I made two syrups from the Natural Remedies for Kids book by Kate Tietje and Bob Zajac, the Cold Kicker Syrup (adoringly called by L. "berry syrup"-she loves it!) and the Cough Syrup (using cherry bark and slippery elm and a few other things). Straining the cough syrup through a mesh bag was like a giant glob of mucus, because of the slippery elm, but mixed with the same amount of honey seems fine.

I also made "GOOT", garlic oil, by chopping about 5 cloves of garlic and blending it with with a 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil. Using my stick blender in the cup it came with worked well. It's powerful! We put it on her feet and chest before bed, followed by socks.

I also made "Nature's Flu Shot" juice from Christa Orecchio's Whole Journey. I modified it slightly to use:

  • Juice of 2 fresh lemons
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne
  • 1.5 c. freshly pulverized pineapple juice
  • 1 tsp honey
I thought it was pretty tasty, with a bit of a kick from the spices. L. took about 3 sips, but only because I think she forget about the kick each time.
Garlic oil, "flu shot," cold-kicker syrup, cough syrup
(photobombing rainbow from the prism)

I also made some Vitamin C gummies with leftover pineapple juice, acerola powder, and gelatin, but for some reason they didn't gel, so I froze them. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates