The Lord God Made Them All




I left my garden unsupervised for 5 days, and look what grew! Luckily, the Simply in Season cookbook has three different cucumber salad variations.


I also picked my first squash today. Those three plants are seriously taking over the entire garden, so it's about time they earned their keep.



Though I thought my eggplants had been nibbled to oblivion, they are slowly making a comeback, and one even has a beautiful purple flower on it! There's hope. And my heirloom tomato plant is turning into a massive bush--it's a little scary how big and fast it's growing. It is certainly welcome to though; I prize it above anything else in the garden.

I am very aware today that while I might facilitate the growth these vegetables by clearing space and positioning them, God is making them in some kind of literal, actual way. The heft of a hard squash just comes out of NOWHERE--the water isn't doing it, the fertilizing manure isn't forming it. It's mysterious.

Also, I am thankful to the bees that buzz around and visit all the blossoms hanging from my plants. Thanks for making this all possible, bees.



"The cold wind in the winter,
 the pleasant summer sun, 
 the ripe fruits in the garden:  
 God made them every one. "
 
                  --All Things Bright and Beautiful

1 comments:

Gina said...

I think you're gardening is coming along quite nicely and it's really neat to follow it here on your blog. Here in Barbados we do a pickle from cucumber. You grater the cucumber (skin included) on the big side of the grater. grater a little onion (just a bit) some fresh parsley, and salt and lime to taste. you can also add hot pepper if you like spicy stuff. You can use the pickle by itself as a salad or you can add chicken, or pork , you can even add shrimp. Whatever you add to it, it's best to let it sit for a while in the fridge so that the meat absorbs the flavour of the pickle.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates