Eugene, Oregon.
I didn't know much about the place before, except that my gentleman friend decided to attend graduate school there. Well, as I plunked around town I started to make some very exciting discoveries.
- The Growers Market---a volunteer-run not-for-profit natural and organic food-buying club. I found so many things I'd only read about on natural homemaking blogs--sucanat (superior to sugar), arrowroot powder (for deodorant), vegetable glycerin (for toothpaste)...and it was cheap. And beautiful, beautiful produce. Everything I'd ever dream of wanting in bulk--coconut oil, maple syrup, castile soap, lotion, loose tea. And by bulk I mean you can bring any container you'd like and fill it--you don't need to buy a big jug of anything.
- The Kiva--a little neighborhood grocery/general/book store. I found so many wonderful things I'd only read about before here too! Ear candles, neti pots, tinctures and essential oils...I love this place! I got several bars (lavendar, honey, eucalyptus) of handmade, vegetable oil-based soap from Sappo Hill for 65 cents each--they were "seconds" and had flaws. It was here that I learned something else sweet that's based in Eugene:
- Mountain Rose Herbs--I'd long wanted to purchase a few things from this company but hesitated because of shipping costs. But, while in town I could buy stuff off the shelf and not pay shipping or sales tax. Because Oregon has no sales tax. So, now I have begun building a very small collection of essential oils for health. (Lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, and a tincture called "Women's Tuner.")
- Market of Choice---a grocery store that blows Whole Foods out of the water. Less expensive, better selection, aesthetically-superior design and perusing experience.
- Winco---I actually encountered this in Portland with my friends Jeff and Sarah. It is like an employee-owned Costco. Highlight of my trip: 32 oz. honey-flavor Zoi! Greek yogurt for $1.88. Better than ice cream! (Also1320 calories, but it's good fats!)
That I saw Over the Rhine from the 4th row of a very small venue.
That there are moss and trees and ferns all around.
That I saw doe and deer and wild turkeys walking right outside the window.
That you can see stars clearly at night because of minimal light pollution.
That you can see stars clearly at night because of minimal light pollution.
That there is a relational church that spends a good deal of gathered worship affirming and thanking each other.
That it's a small city--it has culture but is still navigable, spacious, and quiet.
That it's a small city--it has culture but is still navigable, spacious, and quiet.
That you can learn glass-blowing and many other handcrafts at the university craft center for cheap.
There are music lessons for instruments I'd never heard of, like the oud and tabla.
And one other thing:
There are music lessons for instruments I'd never heard of, like the oud and tabla.
And one other thing:



2 comments:
I'm glad you had such a great trip! Sounds like there's quite a bit there that's just up your alley.
Thank you for visiting us! It was great seeing you again.
Also, they have a Market of Choice in Portland! Jeff and I will have to check it out very soon! :0)
Post a Comment