My first year in Chicago I worked in property management, flipping apartments and moving snow. I wore a red down jacket as my work coat--it was nice at the beginning of the winter, but by the end it was basically ruined.
First there was the polyurethane stain on the front. Then little paint marks here and there. Then one fateful, early, snow-dusted morning, the zipper broke. It was such a warm, well-made coat I just couldn't bring myself to toss it. It languished in the closet for two years. A few weeks ago, I decided to do my best to redeem the thing. It was too junky to donate but I couldn't bear the thought of it in a landfill.
First, I replaced the zipper. That was a frustrating endeavor. It doesn't exactly look professional now, but it closes just fine.
Then, I bought this fabric with red poppies on it. I cut big pieces to cover the polyurethane stains. There were slit pockets underneath, but I wasn't going to kid myself and attempt to accommodate them. So I left the outer edge open so I can still stick mittens and hands in there.
I also cut fabric for the back to cover stray paint marks. That was the most frustrating part, as the lining kept getting caught & bunching. Now it is done!
All this work, and still the coat makes me look chubby like it's not even grateful I saved its life. Still, it will be fine for shoveling, outdoor work, or sledding.




0 comments:
Post a Comment