Well, since I cleaned out the rotting food in the top tray of my worm bin and set out a homemade bug trap, the tiny fruit fly infestation has remarkably dropped off.
Homemade Flying Bug Trap:
1. Find 1 old spaghetti sauce jar
2. Put 3/4 inch apple cider vinegar in it
3. Add a little slice of ripe banana
4. Make a paper cone, tape the side shut, insert in jar so it doesn't quite touch the liquid
5. Tape around where the paper and glass lid meet to prevent escapees!
Not the most helpful instructions without a picture, but I'm a techno-peasant.
In addition, I have done some reading and realize the error of my ways. I added too much food at one time, and didn't sufficiently cover it with a paper layer. Apparently the bug larvae are already on the food scraps, but if you make it difficult for them to get to air once they hatch , they give up. Cool.
So, I think I'll give it another go.
Also, I have a little spout on the bottom of the bin, so the liquid that naturally drains out is convienently accessible. It's superfood for plants. A couple of my little blooming cactuses are pretty sickly-looking, so for the first time today, I diluted the worm juice with water 1:1 and poured it on most of my houseplants. I'm ready to see miracles.
8 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment