Old-fashioned non-stick.

I've learned to always grease my cast-iron skillet before I fry an egg. I used to do this with a spray can of knock-off Pam, back before I was married and was sharing the grocery bill with others. I can't justify that purchase anymore, and the recyclability of aerosol cans is dubious. For a while I tried greasing pans with the stub of a stick of butter. It didn't work very well. What does work well is to save the intact wrapper when I use butter. I wipe it all around the pan, and it does a great, quick job! You'd be amazed how many times you can use one--a lot of greasy is retained on that wrapper! I fold them in half, greasy side in, and keep them in the fridge door. It feels like something that has surely been published in the "Cheapskate Monthly," but it works!

1 comments:

Andrea said...

While it's still aerosol, I like Baker's Joy for most things. I find there is less residue than with Pam. I have had good luck with store brand Pam, too.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates