Chop, zoom, slice!

Whenever we have a need for something in our house (sandpaper? power cord? dress pants?) I always go to the thrift store first. This saves money, but also wastes a lot of time because I really enjoy treasure hunting and it sucks me in! Anyway, when you're at St. Vinnie's or Goodwill frequently, you occasionally stumble on a great find. Last week, I found a Cuisinart food processor for $9.75.

This machine is amazing. It does the chopping work for you--really fast! I've gained a fuller understanding of our society's obsession with labor-saving devices. I really dislike chopping onions, and with this thing, just a little tap-zoom and that thing is diced! It also makes my hummus really smooth!

In the past I've been one to eschew gadgetry (Why would I need a huge stand-mixer?--I have a big spoon and a need for an arm workout!) The idea that we need machines to do our physical work and then we use machines to get exercise (e.g. treadmills) seems so silly. But I'm not immune to the seduction.

Last night though, I made maple parsnip soup and resisted the temptation to let the Cuisinart do the prep work. It's soothing and a little meditative to take my knife and root vegetables in hand and do it the slow way. It's also much quieter, easier to clean up, and doesn't make the overhead light blink because of it's electricity demands. Cooking feels more like an art when it's done by hand. I'll save the machine for big quantities and big hurries.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Since I got a food processor as a gift (thanks, Mom and Dad!), I've noticed the amount of vegetables I eat has drastically increased. I'm a lot more likely to cook with harder vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and celery. I hate the sound of chopping them, and the food processor seems safer. Sliced roasted potatoes are my favorite.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates