Rather to my surprise, my slug-foiling efforts paid off. We've had a lot more undamaged strawberries ready to pick since I tied up the plants and reduced the shady spots in the strawberry bed. I still go on regular slug-killing hunts and set out beer traps.
I planted some bean seeds, and fenced them in with radish seeds. Radishes sprout in like 2 days, so slugs go for them first and don't touch the beans when they show up a few days later. It's called a sacrifice crop. Well, both crops seem to have survived, so we picked our first radishes yesterday. They are one of the quickest-yielding crops--from seed to harvest in 30 days. They also have the most nutrients (vitamins) per calorie of almost any food. (Mostly cause they have almost no calories). Rob loves them. I don't so much.
We put in a boatload more tomato plants (about 30 total now? we got a ton of free seedlings) but it hasn't been warm enough to get much fruit born. Our peas are finally bearing as well, and a little zucchini has appeared too. Unfortunately, we are headed on vacation and won't see the "first fruits" of many of these plants. But, I am also eager for the "fast forward" effect of seeing my plants make a lot of progress when we meet again.
8 months ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment