A number of weeks ago I saw this chair sitting out on the curb with other free junk. It was very dirty and out-of-joint, but I decided it was a project I wanted to tackle. We could use better chairs, and purple is my favorite color!
Crack in the seat.
Pegs out of joint.
The first thing I did was give it a good scrub down. It was pretty dirty. Then I took a hammer and banged all the pegs back in place, trying to align all the pieces. To my surprise, that mostly worked. It was well-made originally, I think.
For the seat crack, I took a thin little strip of remnant wood from a project of Robs, and used metal thumbtacks to "nail" it into the underside of the seat, like a brace. think it's gonna hold.
The paint on the seat is really peeling. I could buy paint-remover, but this was a free chair so I don't want to invest a dime if I can help it--nor do I feel comfortable releasing all the heavy chemicals in paint-remover. I thought for awhile, then decided to try to steam it off. I turned my iron up to the highest setting, put paper towel down to protect the iron, and blasted the seat with steam. It did cause a fair bit more paint to bubble off, but I can't seem to get it all.
Better than it was, but not done!
0 comments:
Post a Comment