Sauerkraut

I picked a couple of our cabbages recently. They stopped growing when they were on the small side, and weren't super green, so I decided they might be good for lacto-fermentation. So, I tried sauerkraut. I'm pretty sure I've never even tasted sauerkraut before. 


First, I used the slicer blade on the food processor to shred the cabbage. I removed the ceramic insert from my slow-cooker and used it as a crock. You add salt and wait for the water to leach out of the cabbage. That didn't work, so I just added several cups of salt-water. Then, I put a plate on top of the cabbaged and pressed down, sat a heavy jar on top of it, and covered the whole operation with a teatowel. Then, I let it sit at room temperature in the back room. On the days I remembered, I removed the plate and rinsed it off (though I never saw any "slime" developing). 
This is it after about a week.  (I think...maybe two? it's been really busy.)  The lighting is different, it didn't turn gray. 
It wasn't as fine as it seemed like it should but, so I put in the food processor with the regular blade a pulsed it a little. 

I know some fermentation happened, because when each time I stopped pulsing, I could hear all these little zingy bubble-foaming sounds. It's alive!!!!!You can see it just a little in this picture. 

Put it in a clean wide-mouth jar, and stick it in the fridge. Now we just need to figure out what to eat it with. 


2 comments:

Andrea said...

Does this mean you've never had a reuben sandwich?!

Hope said...

Yes, I suppose that's what it means! Thanks for the idea.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates