I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tonight I finally finished piecing the top of the quilt that will become our bedspread. It took forever, despite being a pretty simple pattern. I saw a picture of this type of quilt on Pinterest, but didn't know the name and thus couldn't find instructions, so I just studied the picture and did my best. Turns out, it's called "herringbone."
I feel pretty proud of myself! Now I need to go thrifting for a flat bedsheet to act as the backing--I think that'd be way cheaper than using new fabric from the bolt. Then I'll handquilt the batting and backing onto this front piece. Maybe it will be totally complete a year from now. :)
4 comments:
That is awesome. I love the colors.
Yay, congrats! I love this. The red and blue paisley print is fantastic. Your work looks really even.
I shared this with my mom and she thinks it's really beautiful. She recommends hand tying instead of hand quilting since it's faster. She likes sheet backing as well.
Thanks, Andrea. Yes, hand-tying would be faster, but I invested so much time in the front that I'm willing to spend more time in the quilting stage because I prefer how it looks in the end. I'm glad to know "real" quilters use sheets too!
Hey Hope (Andrea's mom here),
I love, love love your quilt. My first one was a flying geese quilt. You are a woman after my own heart. Cooking, canning, sewing etc..
I need to send Andrea's brother your blog site. He is big into canning. I think he canned more in one season than I did in 5 years. He is starting to do a lot with low acid canning. He uses it for left overs. He will make a large batch of chicken soup and instead of eating until your sick of it he will can 6 quarts and put them away for a "rainy day". I got him a great canning book from the Ball company for Christmas - on clearance at Target for 90% off.
Of course you probably know about all the fabulous recipes Andrea makes. She has sent me some super recipes for cookies and other treats. I make them and take them to Bible Study and then give her the feedback. LOL She tells me that you recently got a pressure cooker. I have bought both of my kids one. I am a huge fan of the pressure cooker. Mine is about 50 years old and is the only household item that survived a house fire when I was in 3rd grade. I know I will get some great recipes from Andrea. She ventures out more than I ever did. I am definitely an old traditional cook.
I am enjoying your blog a lot!
Leisa
Post a Comment