Small Root Victory


I have had 1 or 2 failed attempts at growing carrots, so pulling these out of the ground yesterday felt like real victory. Unfortunately, I planted all my other carrot seeds in super clay-ey soil, and the roots couldn't grow, despite the greens looking nice. 

It seems impossible, but the garden is winding down now. Tomatoes are coming steadily, but pickles, cucumbers, strawberries, and zucchini are pretty much done. Lots of things look a little sickly. It wasn't the most robust year for harvest. Oh well, I learn a little each growing season. 
I planted some turnips, lettuce starts, garlic, broccoli starts, and spinach for fall/winter picking. 
I also started some sauerkraut with our cabbage. I can never get any liquid to come out when I pound the leaves--maybe I just wait till they are too old. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates