Yesterday, R. and I went to Detering's Orchard to do our annual u-pick trip for produce to can.
We were very disappointed to learn we totally missed tomato season, which ended two weeks ago after a big rain. Bummer. I had big plans for this year: to try to eliminate buying canned tomatoes from the store. I have been reading so much about DNA expression, including how it can be hijacked by exposure to BPA, so the less factory-canned food we ingest, the better! I'm not sure if this means trying to get through a winter without tomatoes or just resigning ourselves to do better next year.
We did pick several flats of Empire and Spartan apples, which will be turned into sauce, and some corn ears to blanch and freeze.
Later we discovered a wonderful place, Thistle Down Farm, where we picked up 44 enormous green bell peppers for freezing for $11.
In other news, last week I had my most successful yogurt-making run so far. This time I poured the milk mixture directly into quart jars, and sat them in warm water inside the (off) oven all night. The cans actually sealed themselves when I put them in the fridge! The yogurt has good body and holds its shape better than most of my attempts. I'll stick with this method!
8 months ago
1 comments:
I am incredibly jealous of the price you paid for bell peppers. I'm imagining how much fun I would have eating them like candy without a care for the cost.
Post a Comment