Meat-Up

One of the things R. and I decided when we started sharing a household is that we would not buy factory-farmed meat. Mostly, this has meant buying ground beef one pound at a time from the farmer's market and a couple times getting a clearance free-range chicken from the Kiva. And, getting protein for the other 29 days each month from other sources.

This fall, we got together with two other couples to split a quarter grass-fed cow from a local farm (Wintergreen) three ways. This morning we divided it up. The total cost ended up being about $200 per couple.

 I have cooked mostly meatless dishes since I learned how to cook about 8 years ago. I can't imagine what it would be like to leaf through a cookbook and not have to pass by all those dishes that call for actual muscle meat. I have steaks in my freezer! (Plus bones, heart, and liver, yessss).

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Whoa! I look forward to hearing about how you use all of it. I'd like to try cooking liver sometime.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates