A couple weeks ago, I botched a batch of homemade yogurt that didn't set up. The milk smelled a little sour, so I put it on the stove in a pot and warmed it till it was separated into liquids and solids. I think it happened at about 175 degrees. Then, I poured it through a mesh strainer. It left me with a whole bunch of whey, and about 1.5 cups of curds. I sprinkled salt on these curds, and mashed them up a bit, and suddenly I had cottage cheese! The freshest, richest cottage cheese I've ever had, actually. Now I know why whole milk dairy products are more expensive than skim--if they keep the fat, they can make another marketable product out of it!
Recently we made the switch to whole milk mozzerella, even though it is more expensive (and hard to find) because I've been learning how important fat is to balancing your hormones and to help absorb the vitamins and calcium in dairy products. The first time we had it (on pizza, I think), R. said, "Is this that whole milk cheese? Yum! Let's NEVER buy the other kind again!" It's really a lot tastier.
8 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment