Blueberry Raspberry Jam

Our raspberry plant is having the best year yet by far, so we can do more than just gum a few for pleasure while we're in the garden. A friend gave me this type of jam about 4 years ago and it was the best, so I decided to replicate it using the last of our u-pick blueberries and some raspberries from our bush.  

 4 cups berries, combined.


 3 cups organic cane sugar, 1 cup demerara sugar, for no particular reason. (This is only 2/3 of what the recipe called for). I decided not to fool around with honey for this one--I wanted it to taste right.
 Heat it in a pot on medium till boiling, then turn it up to high and stir constantly till it reaches the gelling point. I determined the gelling point by letting it drip off the long end of the spoon --when it drips in two places instead of one point, it's ready.

It's quite runny, which is good for mixing into things. And I didn't have to fool with pectin!
This supply will last us the rest of our time in Eugene! (We don't use it frequently, which is why I used tiny jars--so it doesn't mold before it gets used).

This is the first jam I've made solo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates