My soda-a.k.a.-pop-loving spouse had not been swayed from his devotion to carbonated sweets by my kombucha or water kefir, but when I showed him this recipe for fermented Blackberry Soda, he jumped on it. This is really his project. He went out and bought this demijohn jug and the airlock on the top, which allows air bubbles to be pushed out without any new air getting in. (Fermentation store within walking distance: Thank you, Eugene.) Then he picked a half-gallon of wild blackberries and followed this recipe, using whey from my homemade yogurt as the culture. After 3 days of sitting, it was ready. It's delicious.
I also obtained milk kefir grains free from a woman on Craigslist, which I have never tried before. It is really simple. You just dump the grain into a jar with milk, shake it up, and let it sit for a day at room temperature. I got different texture/sourness level on the 4 successive days I brewed until I ran out of milk. It is good for smoothies. Easier than yogurt, but it takes daily maintenance. Apparently, culturing milk increases the calcium content by about 30%. Plus all the nice microorganisms to help your immune function and digestive health.
| These are the grains, which you strain out daily. |
0 comments:
Post a Comment