Tomato Byproducts

 I made some diced canned tomatoes this week, and still have more to do. The directions said to skin the tomatoes so the skins don't get tough, but I didn't want to waste any little bit. A quick internet search told me that you can dehydrate and pulverize the skins to get tomato powder, which can be combined later with equal parts water to get tomato paste. This seemed sufficiently redemptive, so it's what I did.

Half the dried skins.


The resultant powder, after being buzzed in the blender. More flakes than powder, actually.


Also, I just wanted to record here the wonderful body that my homemade yogurt now has. It's so thick! No gelatin needed like store-bought, just billions of living organisms. The first few times I made it it looked more like runny baby spit-up. Making it allows me to eat organic, full-fat yogurt for half the price of buying it. In other words, it allows me to have it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates