In the past six months I've been expanding my essential oil collection slowly, probably influenced in part by all the attention being given right now to multi-level marketing giants Young Living and Doterra. I don't believe the hype around these two companies and am somewhat suspicious of their fervent disciples; I use oils from Mountain Rose Herbs which is a company here in town that tests purer than either YL or Doterra and is organic, as well as Veriditas, which is also comparable in quality and organic. They are both stocked at my favorite health food store.
My current collection includes: eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree, frankincense, lemon, peppermint, rose perfume, Mental Clarity by Veriditas, and Pain Relief roller by Veriditas. I like adding a drop of lemon to my water bottle and putting lavender in some coconut oil when R. gives me a back massage (also always add it to my bathwater).
My current collection includes: eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree, frankincense, lemon, peppermint, rose perfume, Mental Clarity by Veriditas, and Pain Relief roller by Veriditas. I like adding a drop of lemon to my water bottle and putting lavender in some coconut oil when R. gives me a back massage (also always add it to my bathwater).
I've wanted to get an oil diffuser for some time, but wasn't about to spend upwards of $100 on an atomizer. (It's humid enough here that there is no way I'm buying a mister). Frugal Fate favored me with this lovely glazed ceramic deal for $2 at a yard sale this summer. I just put a beeswax candle in the bottom, a little water in the top, and a few drops of oil. It is amazing how much heat a single candle puts out--it can literally boil the water in the reservoir. The effects are shortlived--it smells great for 15-20 minutes until the oils evaporate. Good enough for me.
This fall I tried making lacto-fermented pickles for the first time using a recipe from Kathleen of Becoming Peculiar. I think I was technically using small cucumbers instead of pickling cukes, and the results were very mushy and inedible. (However, I took them out of the fridge and they sat in the corner for a few weeks before I got around to disposing of them, and there was no mold or rot of any kind. The wonder of proper bacteria balance!)
This week I tried making my first potholder out of shrunken wool sweaters I found on the curb. We already have some felted wool potholders, and they are the best. However, every time I try to sew the squares together, it gets really warped and won't lay flat. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
0 comments:
Post a Comment