Day 25 of 30

We are finally nearing the end of this blasted Whole30 diet. I can do it, but I'm tired of it. I think my body is calling out for variety. I'm ready to bake treats and eat hummus again. Today I decided to start eating raw cheese after getting fired up listening to a Sally Fallon podcast, but I will otherwise continue the diet for the next 5 days.

Homemade beet chips with guacamole. So much flavor!
Even 3+ weeks in to the diet, the only thing I've noticed is I am less hungry between meals. Otherwise, I feel normal. My mood, energy, weight all appear to be unchanged. They were just fine before, but people rave about the effects so I was expecting something more noticeable.

Grocery shopping is a lot simpler, although meal planning is tougher and the staples foods more repetitive. There are so many random things we haven't bought--chocolate, pita chips, cow milk, etc. that we have money for nutrient-rich treats like meat and Bubbies pickles! (R. even bought prosciutto to make these awesome little appetizers with avocado and arugula). Really, the diet is an indulgence.

Making coconut milk is easy and cheap. We've made a lot.  It like it more than almond and  it has a nice layer of tasty coconut fat. 
In a moment of grace and desperation, last weekend I stumbled on a way to eat a Whole30 compliant meal at Chipotle, which we promptly did. Salad greens, pork carnitas, salsa, and guacamole. Quite definitely the most delicious thing I've ever had from that place. Nice knowing you, burritos!

Because that meal was so good, yesterday I made pork chops for the first time. Slow-cooked them in chicken broth, and served them over roasted parsnip & carrot fries with pineapple guacamole. So delicious! I want to eat it again on my birthday! Tonight I made meatballs (half ground beef, half shredded liver) with wilted dandelion greens and squash. Our menus makes me feel like I'm in a lifestyle magazine.

Homemade beef bone broth. The fat layer on top was so thick that when the liquid expanded in the freezer, it had to erupt through it! 

I burned beet juice onto the bottom of my pressure cooker. I tried a trick I'd heard where you boil an inch of water with baking soda in the pan. The burn peeled right off and it's shinier than before!

All this came from a single egg shell. It was a lucky day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates