I did try drying tomatoes for the first time, to use up the tomato inundation waiting when we returned from vacation. This was a project better done in the oven rather than the dehydrator, because tomatoes are too moist to wait around at a low temp for a day. Most of them got white mold spots on them, and I had to toss. The layer closest to the heating element turned out fine, although in retrospect I wish I hadn't salted them.
| Sliced romas. |
I didn't use the oven, however, because ours quit last weekend. It's probably a bunch older than me, and I thank it for it's service. It was charming in it's non-digital way. We got a replacement today.
| Goodbye, analogue stove. You've done a good job. |
I have learned more than one thing about moisture and mold lately...I made chocolate zucchini cake for our anniversary, but forgot to take it out of the oven after I turned it off, which made it not burnt but quite dry. It is truly the perfect thing to induce me drink milk, and no one else wants any which means it's going pretty slowly but by some miracle has absolutely no mold on it almost 2 weeks later even kept in a tin on the counter because it's so dry. Staleness reduces the need for preservatives! So dry, the microbes aren't interested, but perfect for helping me keep up my daily quota of fresh milk.
1 comments:
It's great to see a new post from you! I love the picture of you; I got teary with happiness for you.
The tomato project is cool. In Maine, my mom, Rachel, and I dried flowers. We blended two processes--using an iron, a microwave, and silica. Eventually, we'd like to try a craft where you decoupage dried flowers onto salt dough ornaments.
Post a Comment