Wrap Tai and Bonnet Redux

My chunky 7-month old is about 20 lbs. and now when I wear her in my homemade mei tai carrier, the narrow straps hurt my shoulders. This is the only carrier I can easily get her onto my back with, though. So, I was wishing I had a wrap-tai, which is the same style but with much wider straps to distribute weight. I perused sale sites, but then decided I wouldn't buy one until I'd at least tried making one myself. I did it, and it turned out better than I expected!

Materials: 
1 linen tablecloth from thrift store--$10
1 piece of pink canvas from thrift store--$1
Heavy-duty thread
Salt
Blackberries

My tablecloth was bright white, so I dyed it with some blackberries we had in the fridge, soaking it first in salt water to make it better able to hold pigment. After a washing, it was only very light violet, but it looks way less tableclothy than bright white.

I hemmed the straps and sewed them to the heavy canvas layer for strength.


Then I added a linen layer on both sides of the base panel. 


I have yet to try it with the baby, since she was asleep when I finished it, but it seems to fit well. Maybe I'll get the inspiration to add a hood someday. 

Also, I made this exact same bonnet months ago, but somehow it got lost before I even tried in on L. It was heartbreaking. But, since I lost her other bonnet I decide to make one again. 




1 comments:

Andrea said...

I chuckled when I saw fruit on your materials list.

Stunning bonnet!

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates