Easter dress

I hadn't sewn in months, but I really wanted to make L. an Easter dress. I finally found a decent free pattern, the Party Dress by The Cottage Mama, which she will send you if you subscribe to her newsletter. For my first try, I only really used the pattern for the bodice, and then kinda made up the rest as I went along. I cut up a blue linen shift dress that was too big from me (yard sale find) and used the buttons and pleated placket from it for the closure. Not having a plan as I sewed more and more elements on was kind of fun, but the end product looked odd...particularly the gigantic sleeves. I did like the Peter Pan collar and the piping at the shoulders. It ended up being too big for L., so I made a sash tie to cinch it. She looked like Little Bo Peep. I also made some shoes that match the floral fabric, but they looked like duck feet. 



When it was finished, I just wasn't pleased, so I decided to make another. I used a scrap of white linen from a tablecloth I'd turned into a baby carrier a while ago for the bodice. This made it look a little fancier than if it was cotton, I think. I also added flutter sleeves and a scrap of scalloped lace at the neck. I also made her a matching hairbow. I was pretty pleased with this, and she wore it on Easter (with the original weird shoes). 
without flash (dark)

with flash, washed out (thought skirt colors are more accurate)


I also made Rob's bowtie as a Christmas gift. You can't see it here, but the fabric has moths and other natural critters on it. 


1 comments:

Andrea said...

The collars on both are just darling! I like how well all of your outfits coordinate. The tie is super cool.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates