8 months ago
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Last summer I decided to buy laundry detergent by Seventh Generation again. This product is all natural; thus not adding undesirable chemicals to our water supply. The cost is equitable to any other powdered detergent. I bought the unscented "free and clear" kind because avoiding fragrances in products goes a long way toward likeliness of purity. And it comes in a recyclable cardboard box instead of a hard plastic bottle. Easy enough. I like to support this company. Besides the fact it has a sweet name, it is also up at the tippity-top of the Better World Handbook's list of socially and ecologically-responsible companies.
Recently I learned about soap nuts. Would you believe there is a tree that grows nuts that are saponins (soap-making)? Amazing! They grow in places like Nepal. You can do your laundry by throwing some of these nuts in your washing machine. I bought a bottle of the 18x concentrated soap nuts liquid from NaturOli. You only need a teeny bit (like 1 tsp with a normal washer--half that for high-efficiency) for a load, so the bottle should last about 45 loads or 90 for HE. I have some nuts too, but haven't tried them yet. I don't have anything amazing to share--just simply to say that it works--works as well as Seventh Generation...or Tide or anything else I've ever used. Except the burden on my conscience is lighter, and you don't need to use fabric softener/dryer sheets because the nuts inherently have those skills. You could almost laugh at how wonderful it is that God made these amazing nuts that do everything we've strived to do chemically with a big, pollutant detergent industry.
Investigation, Experimentation, and Modification.
Laundry Quandary no more!
Posted by
Hope
on Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Labels:
cleaning
Last summer I decided to buy laundry detergent by Seventh Generation again. This product is all natural; thus not adding undesirable chemicals to our water supply. The cost is equitable to any other powdered detergent. I bought the unscented "free and clear" kind because avoiding fragrances in products goes a long way toward likeliness of purity. And it comes in a recyclable cardboard box instead of a hard plastic bottle. Easy enough. I like to support this company. Besides the fact it has a sweet name, it is also up at the tippity-top of the Better World Handbook's list of socially and ecologically-responsible companies.
Recently I learned about soap nuts. Would you believe there is a tree that grows nuts that are saponins (soap-making)? Amazing! They grow in places like Nepal. You can do your laundry by throwing some of these nuts in your washing machine. I bought a bottle of the 18x concentrated soap nuts liquid from NaturOli. You only need a teeny bit (like 1 tsp with a normal washer--half that for high-efficiency) for a load, so the bottle should last about 45 loads or 90 for HE. I have some nuts too, but haven't tried them yet. I don't have anything amazing to share--just simply to say that it works--works as well as Seventh Generation...or Tide or anything else I've ever used. Except the burden on my conscience is lighter, and you don't need to use fabric softener/dryer sheets because the nuts inherently have those skills. You could almost laugh at how wonderful it is that God made these amazing nuts that do everything we've strived to do chemically with a big, pollutant detergent industry.
A.K.A. "Experiments With Stuff I Like"
Blog Archive
Labels
- baby (14)
- baking (8)
- body care (30)
- byproduct (11)
- cleaning (4)
- clothing (9)
- compost (2)
- decorating (21)
- fermentation (13)
- food (83)
- food preservation (20)
- foraging (9)
- fruit (10)
- furniture (9)
- gleaning (13)
- greens (9)
- growing plants (41)
- handcrafts (30)
- herbal remedies (25)
- offals (6)
- outside the lines (15)
- recipes (19)
- reduce (7)
- relationships (2)
- reuse (25)
- sewing (19)
- soaking grains (2)
- travel (7)
My Blog List
-
-
1 year ago
-
3 years ago
-
4 years ago
-
4 years ago
-
5 years ago
-
6 years ago
-
6 years ago
-
6 years ago
-
6 years ago
-
7 years ago
-
9 years ago
-
9 years ago
-
9 years ago
-
9 years ago
-
10 years ago
-
10 years ago
-
10 years ago
-
11 years ago
-
13 years ago
-
14 years ago
-
14 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-


5 comments:
cool fact!
Definitely a fan of Seventh Generation.
Soap nuts, huh? Let us know when you try them. How do they compare to other detergents in price? Is there much difference between using the actual nuts vs the liquid form?
I have heard of those soap nuts, but I have not tried them yet... I have just been using the eco-friendly detergent... but now i want to try the nuts... how fun! I love feeling pure and at one with the world, and this definitely sounds like a great way to do laundry.
if you haven't already, you should get the seventh generation at amazon.com. they are usually cheaper and have you tried ecos? if you know someone with a costco membership, you should totally go and get that. it's super cheap and i think you end up using 30% less plastic when buying in bulk. also, since you like free things... i suggest you save those hard caps from water bottles etc and bring them in to aveda. they recycle those and they give you a nice sample every time! hope you're well, hope!
oops... my name isn't on there. it's me, so young :)
Post a Comment