Plain Vanilla

One experiment I've wanted to try for awhile is to make vanilla extract. Since I was in Grand Rapids this weekend and had the benefit of lower tax and lower prices, I finally got supplies to do so.

$7--24 oz. bottle of vodka
$6--2 vanilla beans

 After a little research and comparison online, I realized I really should have gotten 6 vanilla beans and could have purchased them for a better price online, but I had to justify that harrowing bike ride from Calvin to Harvest Health and actually buy something. So today I just started a smaller batch.
 First I split the bean in half. I tried to pry it open a bit to maximize exposure of the flavorful vanilla goo inside.
 Then I snipped them into 2-inch pieces, put them in a glass jar, and filled it with a cup of vodka.

Now it sits in the cupboard and will be ready in 2 months, the day after my little sister is to be wed.

1 comments:

Dumont said...

crazy!

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates