I've lost my digital camera, so I can't share pictures of all the fun projects I've been doing lately.
A week or so ago, I went out to a farm with homeschooling friends and picked a 5-gallon bucket full of red peppers. I froze these in halves, strips, and diced. The neat pile of Zip-locs in the freezer is a gratifying sight.
One the same trip I got 7 ears of corn, just to try freezing my own. I knew I had to blanch the corn, which was a wee bit intimidating. I'd tried once before but couldn't seem to get the ice water to stay cold enough. However, in our new home we only own one ice cube tray, and have a limited selection of large containers (I needed my one pot for boilign!), so I had to get a little creative. My solution was to remove one of the crisper drawers from our refridgerator, put a couple of inches of water in the bottom, and stick it in the freezer. This was amply sufficient to keep the water cold and to house all the corn cobs I needed to fit! So I've got a frozen gallon-bag of corn too.
8 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment