Homemaking Revolution

This last week I've been reading a delightful book called "Radical Homemaking: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture" by Shannon Hayes and it is shaking up my thoughts on vocation and employment.

The book talks about how over the last couple centuries, the role of a housewife and husband (the word "husband" coming from the prior "house-bond") has changed from one of working in the home to provide for their daily needs to one where one or both work at jobs to earn money in order to purchase product/services to meet their daily needs. And, if one person does stay home, their role has turned from one of a producer to a consumer, whose job it is to buy stuff instead of create stuff (and food) for the family. This is a very compelling idea to me! It's challenging me to think of ways I can think creatively to provide for our household with my own muscles and wit, instead of wallet. So far this has resulted in a few wee projects:

  • Making hummus.  Yep, I own a gee-whiz blender now so I better make it useful. It was so easy, and I just put it in the about-to-be-recycled storebought hummus container. Just a can of garbanzo beans, a 1/4 cup of sesame seeds, 1/4 lemon juice, and salt. It is so gratifying to open the fridge and see that I filled up that little container myself instead of going to the store. Also, it cost about 1/4 of the price of store-bought.

  • Making a  winter hat. Rob had no hat for his head and it's getting cold. I'll never be a knitter, but I went to a free goods exchange on Saturday and found a shrunken, navy blue, 100% wool sweater. I used it and the pattern from "Handmade Home" by Amanda Soule. It was his 3-monthaversary present.

  • Making paste. I wanted to prettify a box for my friend's wedding gift, and so found some pretty magazine pictures but couldn't for the life of my find the two Elmers glue bottles I swear I packed in Chicago. My first thought was that I needed to go to the store, but then I slowed down and thought for a second. A little white flour and water in a dish, there we have paste! It is kinda bumpy, but the pictures stick.

  • Restoring cast iron skillets. We had an itty-bitty skillet and a large skillet, but a friend had found two very, very rusty mid-size skillets somewhere and gave them to me. With a stainless steel scrubber, some hot water, and a whole lotta elbow grease, I scrubbed that rust off. It wasn't easy or fast, but it worked. Then I rubbed on some canola oil and baked them in the oven. Too much and for too long, it turns out, they got sticky. 

Being literally productive in this way was immensely satisfying.  The work was very real, and I "brought home the bacon" in a concrete way, despite the lack of paycheck. I've always enjoyed little crafts and projects like this, but I've never really thought of them the way that I do now. I don't earn money right now, but I do make vital contributions to our home life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates