Simplest Water Purification

Upon moving here, I was very pleased to learn from the Eugene municipal website that this town has exceptionally good water quality. Great! I have gotten rather concerned about water contaminents from stuff I read, which is why I asked for (and got) a shower water filter for our wedding. However, I've read that over-the-tap or pitcher-style water filters really don't get out the majority of what's most harmful to us (though they do help with taste!). Namely, chlorine, which is a known carcinogen.

The problem is, super-effective water purifies are ridiculously pricey. Like, several hundred to a couple thousand bucks.

One nice fact: chlorine evaporates!

So, I always fill a large glass pitcher with water and let it sit out overnight, so the chlorine evaporates out. That's all! It doesn't do anything about those heavy metals or radium, but it puts my mind at ease. People do this for their plants regularly, why not themselves?

1 comments:

Lisa Selph said...

Using the Brita filter usually means the water is sitting out too (although of course we someimtes use it up right away) so that takes care of most of the chlorine and filters out some other stuff!

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates