Applesauce....Canned! Apple Butter....congealing!

Well, I have finally managed to water-bath can all by myself. Yesterday I canned six jars of applesauce! It was pretty easy...yet mysteriously time-consuming.

I use an apple slicer to core the fruit and then throw the slices in the blender, peel on. Whirl em, heat it a little on the stove, add a little cinnamon and sucanat. Put in cans and boil! And then open all the windows so the climate in my basement apartment doesn't turn any further into a rainforest than it already is from all that steam.

I made more sauce than I had sterilized jars for, so I decided to make apple butter in the crockpot, modifying the Saving the Seasons instructions. So simple---dump apple sauce into crock pot and put it on low. Crack the lid so moisture can get out. Check on it every few hours. I did turn it off while I was sleeping, just in case, but now, 24 hours later, it is almost done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates