I went to a different grocery store last week, and spotted mustard seeds in bulk. So, I decided to try a mustard recipe I'd seen online.
I just combined a 1/4 c. black mustard seeds with 1/4 c. yellow mustard seeds.
I added a half cup of balsamic vinegar. Then I covered it with plastic and let it sit for about a day and a half.
By that time, the seeds had absorbed all the vinegar, and it smelled a little mustard-y.
I tried to grind this mixture up, first in my blender, then in my food processor, with little success.
Most of the seeds were still whole. I gave up and jarred it.
The next day, when we were low on staple food, I decided to slather two pieces of English muffin with the mustard, and make a bacon sandwich for breakfast. It made me queasy. The mustard was pretty spicy--not a good breakfast when you're just getting over being sick.
If I make mustard again, I might try to find a milder type of vinegar, and a better way to puree it all.
2 comments:
Hi Hope!
Maybe it would work to use a spice grinder? I'm not sure if you can change up the process, but the spice grinder could certainly crush those seeds before you add the vinegar!
Sarah Shubitowski
Good idea, Sarah! Yeah, I'm not sure if you can switch the steps--or if it would ruin the grinder to put saturated seeds through. Thanks!
Post a Comment