Blackout during a whiteout.

R. and I have been mostly just at home for the past 3.5 days because Eugene got a huge (for us) snowstorm. The roads are still bad (unplowed and icy) and most stuff is closed.

Luckily, the morning it started coming down, the cancelled seminar I showed up to was very close to Target, where I had been meaning to go for some months. It was really my lucky day, because Damp Rid was 60% off, which is what I actually went in for. That's how you know you're a grown up--when the highlight of your snow day is finding DampRid on sale. 

I also bought a blackout curtain and a couple cheap curtain rods. I got really motivated to try to improve my sleep after learning in class recently that the body and mind do all their repair work in stage 3 & 4, so poor sleep is a big deal. We only have miniblinds on the windows, which let in ambient street and morning light and I rarely feel rested when I wake up.

So, I bought one long 42"x 84" blackout curtain and cut it in half. It is just white thermal-backed polyester, and I was trying to think of a way to decorate it a bit. It was a conundrum, because paint doesn't adhere well to polyester, ironing on Stitch Witchery might melt it, and I didn't want to make pinholes in the thermal blackout layer with a needle if I sewed on it. I needed a craft consultant!

Finally I settled on gluing some doilies to it and found a recipe for homemade glue so I could dissolve it if I wanted to reuse the doilies someday.

The glue was: 1 c. white flour, 1/3 c. sugar, 3/4 c. water (with 1 tbsp white vinegar diluted in it). Heat and stir constantly until thick. Add a little more water till you like the consistency. Let cool.

I slathered this on the doilies and let it dry all day and night. They actually stick! probably not the most sturdy adherence, but fine for now.






I tea-dyed a few doilies for color variation. The white ones don't show up too well. I still have to do the second curtain, perhaps I'll be more thoughtful about placement--I don't really have an eye or the patience for design.

The good news is, the curtains make a huge difference. I have had a couple nights of great sleep, and our bedroom is warmer. Why didn't I do this two years ago?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates