I was meticulously weeding these little leaves out of my garden, until my favorite farmer friend identified them as purslane, a highly nutritiuous and edible wild plant. Apparently, they are even healthier than spinach and are rich in omega 3 fatty acids!
While I was away for 10 days, we had lots of hot, wet weather that made my garden go crazy! My jaw literally dropped when I stopped by on Monday. My squash plants have exploded, and some evolutionary instinct in me was terrified for a moment, perhaps by the thought that at this rate, butternut squash could take over the city in a very short time.
I picked a bunch of purslane leaves, and have been adding them to salads and vegetable sautes the past couple days. They sprinkle just like sliced almonds. I've also had the great pleasure of being able to cook with fresh chocolate mint and basil---the first fruits of my garden! Dreamy.

0 comments:
Post a Comment