The pillowcase skirt is one of those classic EZ-sew project for beginners. I made one in 8th grade. Last weekend I found this old-fashioned pillowcase with really lovely embroidery at a fundraiser sale for 25 cents. I decided to see if I could still fit inside a pillowcase.
I found some elastic from an old pair of undies that wore out before the waistband did, and used it. I left the elastic intact and just made a channel to fold over it, bunching the fabric as I went until I'd sewed the whole thing into captivity. Quite basic.
What I wasn't able to photograph were the 8 small holes in the fabric. Moths, perhaps? I cut little white squares from another pillowcase edge, and placed them behind the holes. Then I did a zigzag stitch over it on the top side. It worked pretty well! Well enough to wear, not well enough to enter in the county fair or anything.
Then, I wore it to church on Easter.
4 comments:
Ooh, I have a couple pretty pillowcases I bought at a garage sale that I was going to make in to dresses for Tillie. Maybe I should make myself a skirt...
I love your new skirt!
Great ensemble! I have some hand-embroidered pillowcases that my grandmother made me that I really treasure.
that is a really good idea! did you get your hair cut?
Yeah, I did. It was really, really long and in February i got it cut shorter than ever in my life. I felt like an adult.
Post a Comment