Vermicompost Progress

I've been forgetting about our worms for the last few months, since we had our fly problem after Christmas, and I had to dump a lot of it out. We have been feeding very sparingly since then. Since we are beginning to plan in the garden now, I decided to see what fertilizing elements had been brewing in there. So, I scraped out the purest compost that smooshed to the bottom layer of the bin:

It's pretty amazing, this stuff doesn't smell at all! It's back to dirt! Very, very nutritious dirt! There were a number of baby worms in it, which I had to pick out. 


I also drained the liquid off, which gave us a bit of worm tea concentrate. I will dilute this and maybe feed it to the houseplants. 


Here is our worm bin that lives in our storage closet. I am excited to see what I believe are a large number of infant worms, which means that the population is going to increase, and we can feed them more! This time, I am staying on top of the bug problem by covering the food scraps with a lot of shredded newspaper.  It was pretty satisfying to make a first harvest from the bin. We'll get better at this, and next year hopefully have more finished compost to garden with.

1 comments:

Deborah said...

that is awesome! i want to compost.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates