There is a DIY revival on the loose, which I think is a great thing. It's empowering and challenges consumerism. Pinterest is the supreme facilitator of this movement. The downside, however, is that with easy creation comes slapdash and imitation of the real thing. Without care, we can do so many simple, quickie projects that we don't take care to do a single thing well. (And sometimes we make stuff that isn't actually that nice, only to toss it 2 months later). I have begun noticing some Pinterest-type projects up in homes in place of fine art. These are fine and fun, but they are not really art, because they are hasty and easy, not cared-for. I hope it isn't feeding our short-attention span/disposable modern mindset--wanting aesthetic but not if it costs us anything. It's a fine line.
That's an observation, but I've got both feet in the river if I'm honest. I found a miniature stretched canvas on the curb last week, as well as a bag full of fabric scraps. The one piece of cotton was this pretty bird print. It's not big enough to sew anything with, but it was just large enough to wrap around the canvas. I taped it on. Quintessential cheap, quick, Pinterest home decor. It's not beautiful, but it's cute.
Nothing wrong with cute, so as long as true beauty and art don't get booted along the way. Someday, I'll buy a real painting from someone who went to art school...or at least genuinely loves their craft.
I also tried to make almond butter today. I used 2 cups of my soaked almonds that were already nice and soft, and added about 1/4 c. coconut oil and 1 tbsp. honey. It didn't work! It never reached butter consistency--only very fine crumbles! I don't get it, the machine at the grocery store grinds plain almonds into paste, but mine failed to work even with added oil. I tried both the food processor and the blender. Disappointing.
0 comments:
Post a Comment