Soaking Nuts

 
For quite some time now, I've known that it is best to soak raw nuts before eating them, because it makes the nutrients more accessible and gets rid of digestion-inhibiting agents. But, I never took the time to do it, until this weekend. I decided to make some Cinnamon Maple Nut Crunch so I had a snack for my 12-hour class days this summer. It was going to be somewhat of a process anyway, so I decided to soak them.
I just rinsed the nuts, and then submerged them in double their volume of water.
Cashews--3-4 hours
Pecans--4 hours
Almonds--6-8 hours (rinse again halfway through)
 

Because I did a large volume of almonds, I dehydrated them afterwards so they'll keep. They are much softer now. And taste quite a bit more flavorful too!

Finished Nut Crunch. Delicious! The Recipe is from one of the only food blogs I read, The Nourishing Gourmet. Next time I'll leave out the chia seeds, because they just fall through the cracks of the other nuts and get left behind. They are too expensive and too nutritious to be wasted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates