One of my classmates brought me a bunch of rhubarb, and I decided to use it to make fruit leather.
I just chopped and steamed the rhubarb, and blended 2-3 cups of it with 2 cups of fresh strawberries, with a couple spoonfuls of honey. Then, I spread it out on the trays of my dehydrator (after I carefully cut pieces of parchment paper to fit the "O" shape of the trays). It took about 24 hours to dry. The results weren't great--some blobs never dried, and what did was extremely thin and tough. Kind of like those indestructible white mailing envelopes. Rob said, "This isn't fruit leather, it's fruit hide!"
I've been nibbling them nonetheless. They still taste good, it's just the texture. I kinda wish I hadn't used my annual installment of rhubarb in this way. Next time I'll use the oven on low, and do a thicker spread.
In other news, I happened upon a free kombucha baby this week, so I'm trying my hand at probiotic fermentation again. It's been a couple years--maybe this time I'll have the patience to work on getting a tasty result. I prefer the process of water kefir, but let my grains die by accident. This will need to do for now.
I started it with loose Yerba Mate Green Tea, because I had it on hand.
8 months ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment