I Livered to tell about it!

This past week I had occasion to stop by the "fancy" grocery store, aptly named "Market of Choice" (which would be even more aptly named "Market of Choice for the Rich & Health Conscious") and picked up 3/4 lb of chicken livers. Last night, I made one of the recipes from my Offals class:
  • 1 apple, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 lb. liver, chopped.
Saute each separately, in 1-2 tbsp coconut oil.
 
Rallying the cast iron troops!

The finished product (with salad from our garden)
It was quite good. We determined the sweetness from the apples are key to the tastiness. I'll be making this again! The only thing that was weird was handling raw meat. I am not used to this, and am sort of paranoid about contamination of my cutting boards.

4 comments:

Lisa Selph said...

Many years ago Vern and I took on the challenge of using a #10 (BIG - like gallon size!) can of chicken livers that was donated and no one else wanted.... putting them in spaghetti sauce was our preferred way of eating them!

Hope said...

:) Spaghetti sauce, that's a good idea!

gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gina said...

In the caribbean we love livers, especially chicken livers and beef liver. I find it interesting that you sauteed everything separately. I usually prep/season all my meats at least over night with a seasoning blend, made by gently pureeing chives, onions, basil, garlic (any fresh herbs you like would work) and of course salt and pepper to taste. When I'm ready to cook the livers I'd add some slice onions and sweet peppers and cook it all down (covered) it till nice and tender. A crock pot would work great for this. Most Bajans also enjoy fried liver.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates