I saw an add for a product called "Slug Shield" that uses copper wire to protect plants from the ravages of slimy tyrants. Slugs get a little electric shock from copper, so they won't crawl over it. Neat, cheaper than copper tape, but still over $1 per plant to use. Because we garden about half for the joy of it, and half because it helps us afford fresh produce, $1/plant is steep. Looking at the picture online, I thought,
"I could make something like that with a copper scrubbing pad!"
So, I bought a 3-pack of copper-coated scrubbing pads for $1.86, and used a scissor to snip and unroll the wire mesh. Then I wrapped pieces around stems, and stuck the ends together. It was pretty simple, and thus far has worked. I did 12 plants with less than one scrubber pad. It's a miracle!
| See the little copper barrier? |
| From left: Strawberry patch, rhubarb, kale/cauliflower/broccoli, beans & beets. |
| Artichoke, basil, swiss chard. I've probably planted seeds twice in the big open space, and can't remember what I sowed either time. Nothing came up. |
| Le whole garden. The raspberry bush in the back has grown a LOT in a year. We just let it spread. |
1 comments:
Wicked smaht! I saw a Heloise tip to put a rubber snake in a garden to scare away birds.
Post a Comment