Brush it Out

Recently I learned about the Bass Brushing Technique which involves boar-brushing your hair a whole bunch in a particular pattern to distribute the natural oils well. I never gave much though to the purpose of brushing except a few swipes to put it into detangled order, but apparently in the olden days people brushed their hair instead of washing it to move the oil away from the scalp and condition the hair. This appeals to me, since I hate being wet and like anything that involves less hair washing. It also makes sense that we have built-in mechanism to care for hair instead of needing a purchased product to strip the scalp and then another to moisturize further down the hair strand.  

 The video on brushing I watched was also a plug for the ultra-expensive Mason-Pearson brush. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and got a knockoff (Beautique) for about $12 which side by side looks pretty much the same. It has both boar and nylon bristles and feels really nice going through my hair. Doing the brushing technique on a day without washing really does distribute the oils and add shine down the strand. I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not, but it sure makes my scalp happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates